INVESTING IN WOMEN ENTREPRENEURS
Startup Canada and OnDeck Canada® announced the recipients of the 2019 Startup Canada Women Founders Fund for women entrepreneurs leading STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) businesses on October 23rd at the Startup Canada Awards Ceremony in Toronto. The fund provides micro-grants to women-led companies in Canada to help them start and grow their businesses while accelerating gender parity.
“From raising Venture Funding to build a reputed brand, women entrepreneurs in the STEM sector face several challenges along their journey. In fact, only about 5% percent of tech startups are women owned” said Victoria Lennox, CEO of Startup Canada. “The Startup Canada Women Founders Fund provides opportunities for women to start-up strong and prepare to scale. We look forward to seeing the recipients grow their companies and create meaningful impact in their communities.”
The more than 200 applications from across Canada, were adjudicated by an esteemed Adjudication Committee, including Katrina Caroll Foster, the CEO of Kollectively, Miryam Lazarte, the CEO of LatAm Startup, Marney Stapley, Vice President of North Forge Technology Exchange, Mandy Potter, Founder of Jane, and Francine Whiteduck, Founder of Whiteduck Resources Inc., among others.
2019 Women Founders Fund Recipients
CEO, Granted Consulted Inc.
Granted Consulting Inc, GetGranted is a Vancouver-based software that allows SMEs to access and understand grants easily. The company has helped 750+ SMEs maximize their opportunities through government grants.
“The Women Founders Fund will support creation of an in-house video studio to create innovative content used in marketing campaigns.” said Stephanie Sang
CEO, Growing Greener Innovations
Growing Greener Innovation, is an Edmonton-based Clean tech company that created a plug-and-play solution which allows individuals to create microgrids of any size, anywhere, without the need of a technician.
CEO, Kidictive Inc.
Kidictive inc., is an Oakville-based company which created an app that gamifies real world to help kids put down their devices. That way the screen time they do have is guilt free! It is already a family favorite.
“Kidictive Inc. will use the funds from the Womens Founders Fund to help implement app features/enhancements gathered through customer feedback and user insights to validate our gaming mechanism” said Michelle Gorman.
Invicare Inc., is a Montreal-based nanotechnological spin-off company of McGill University, which brings innovative and impactful biomaterials to the healthcare industry, starting with the dental implant care market.
“The fund will be used towards the expenses of FDA registration of our first product (NeoPhylaxis). The FDA license will allow us to establish both clinical and business partnerships in the US that facilitate our distribution/ expansion strategy” said Ashwaq Al-Hashedi.Natalia Mykhaylova
Weavair, is a Toronto-based company that aims to improve public health while reducing energy consumption, by developing the world’s first device that uses real time metrics proactively to improve their building operations and air quality.
“2019 Women’s Founder Fund is invaluable for WeavAir. It will be used to cover part of our product manufacturing and certification costs, which will help us deliver the product to our customers faster as well as help us develop new partnerships” said Natalia Mykhaylova.
MEET OUR PAST RECIPIENTS
- Mommy Monitor, a non-clinical maternal health app and service that customizes care by organizing maternal health care services for women. (CEO & Founder, Elsie Amoako)
- Streamline Genomics, a company that provides clinicians with a powerful and user-friendly analysis platform. (CEO & Founder, Josette-Renee Landry)
- The Growcer, a food-tech company that specializes in the design and manufacturing of food production systems that allow Arctic and Sub-Arctic communities to grow food profitably year-round. (Chief Operating Officer, Alida Burke)
- Eve Medical, a medical device company that provides women’s health screening kits. (Co-Founder and CEO Jessica Ching)
- Awake Labs, is using AI to care for brain and mental health disorders. (CEO Andrea Palmer)
- SportFitz, is a Smart Solution to measure, monitor and manage impacts to the brain. (Founder and CEO Diane Matyas)
- Spreza, a transcription company that provides automatic speech to text and live captioning. (Co-Founder Heather Evans)
- Welbi, a platform that helps families take care of their elderly loved ones. (Co-Founder Elizabeth Audette-Bourdeau)
- YUMiBOX, a subscription box that sells products to support diabetic blood sugar control. (Co-founders Mengyin Hong and Zoey Li)