Programs & Events Manager
Position: Programs & Events Manager
Application Deadline: Rolling Application Until Role is Filled
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to email@example.com using the subject line “Application: Programs & Events Manager”. Please review the entire summary below before applying. We will only contact you if we are requesting an interview.
About the Role
We are building out our Programs Team with leaders who share our vision for building an entrepreneurial nation.
The Programs & Events Manager will support, and play a leading role in the delivery of programs, events, and initiatives of Startup Canada, working closely with the team of Program Managers. This role is hands-on and involves working as part of a Team, and working independently with a high level of autonomy and accountability. The Program Manager has the opportunity to help shape programming and impact entrepreneurs in doing so.
This position requires travelling across Canada from coast to coast to coast to deliver our programs.
Knowledge and Assets
- 1-3 years of experience working in a fast-paced agency-style environment or relevant experience;
- 1-3 years of event management, program management, and budgeting experience;
- Strong written, spoken and interpersonal communications skills;
- A self-starter with strong leadership attributes and the ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic team;
- A degree or diploma in public relations, communications, journalism, program management, or relevant field;
- Thorough practical knowledge of social media, communications, entrepreneurship and small business, marketing, data measurement, analytics;
- Leadership, communication, and human relations skills in order to develop and maintain contacts and deal diplomatically and harmoniously with all levels of staff and the general public; to manage, develop, motivate, and support staff in achieving objectives; and, to participate as an effective team member; and,
- The ability to write and speak French is an asset.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- The on-time and on-budget delivery of Startup Canada Programming, including — International Women’s Day, Canadian Export Challenge Tour, Startup Canada Awards, Startup Community Summit, Day on the Hill, and other programs as required.
- Liaising with sponsors, speakers, partners, media partners, and volunteers.
- Ensuring excitement, satisfaction, and an excellent overall Startup Canada experience by everyone involved in the program.
- Promoting the program across the Canadian entrepreneurship community and ensuring the program is reflective of the diversity of entrepreneurs in Canada and their interests.
- Developing a national narrative positioning Startup Canada as a thought leader in Canada and globally in fostering an entrepreneurial nation and startup communities.
- Ensuring the fulsome participation by the government and mainstream media in all aspects of the programming.
- Ensuring the ongoing relevance and impact of programming beyond its immediate duration.
- Support the Marketing & Communications Manager with content for the program website, social media campaign and communications assets for the exemplary execution of the program.
- Producing detailed plans for events (e.g. timelines, venues, suppliers, legal obligations, staffing and budgets).
- Securing and booking a suitable venue or location, as well as travel and accommodation logistics.
- Ensuring insurance, legal, health and safety obligations are adhered to.
- Coordinating venue management, caterers, stand designers, contractors and equipment hire.
- Planning room layouts and the entertainment programme, scheduling workshops and demonstrations.
- Preparing delegate packs, papers, and briefings.
- Coordinating suppliers, handling client queries and troubleshooting on the day of the event to ensure that all runs smoothly.
- Overseeing the dismantling and removal of the event and clearing the venue efficiently.
- Post-event program — including data entry and analysis and producing reports for event stakeholders.
- Other duties as required.
Why work at Startup Canada?
- Working closely with a dynamic and fun team of professionals in the nation’s capital;
- Employee benefits and wellbeing perks;
- Cross-Canada travel opportunities;
- We use Mac’s!;
- Great location that’s close to the LRT, 90 series bus routes, Rib Fest, Poutine Fest, Parliament Hill, and the Rideau Centre;
- Working directly with Canada’s vibrant entrepreneurship community and leading entrepreneurs;
- Working directly with top-level industry partners and government leaders; and,
- Opportunities for professional development.