Programs Coordinator – Community Impact
Position: Programs Coordinator – Community Impact
Application Deadline: Rolling Application Until Role is Filled
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Application: Programs Coordinator – Community Impact”. Please review the entire summary below before applying. We will only contact you if we are requesting an interview.
About Startup Canada
Startup Canada is Canada’s entrepreneurship organization. Startup Canada promotes and supports the success and growth of Canada’s 3.5 million entrepreneurs, with a mandate to foster economic growth, competitiveness, and prosperity through entrepreneurship. Startup Canada launched in 2012 in response to the Action Canada Task Force on High Growth Entrepreneurship call for an “independent organization to serve as the centrepiece for a national strategy to lay the foundations for entrepreneurial excellence in Canada.”
Since launching, Startup Canada’s programming has directly supported more than 250,000 entrepreneurs and 50 grassroots Startup Community organizations. Working with over 750 ecosystem partners, including accelerators, incubators, research parks, educational institutions, economic development agencies, associations, and government programs, Startup Canada serves entrepreneurs from all backgrounds, industries, and stages of development, with a network reflective of Canada’s diverse population.
About Startup Communities
Startup Canada Communities is a national program that empowers and equips entrepreneurs and those driving local entrepreneurial and economic development activities with the framework, tools, resources, promotional support and network to build and accelerate the growth of grassroots entrepreneurial communities.
The program provides community builders with:
- An expert-led learning platform, program and national peer network;
- Branded community building marketing tools and programs;
- Media and government relations opportunities and support; and,
- Community impact reports and recognition for achievement.
The Programs Coordinator – Community Impact will focus on enhancing the quality, impact, reach, awareness and influence of the Startup Communities program as the connective tissue binding local entrepreneurial communities and connecting them to other communities to create a healthy and efficient system for entrepreneurial economic growth. The Coordinator oversees, delivers and is accountable for the coordination and administration of all aspects of Startup Canada’s flagship Communities program including planning, organizing, resourcing, leading and controlling all program activities, and its associated sub-programs.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan the delivery of the overall Communities program and its activities in accordance with the mission and goals of the organization
- Design and deliver Community Mixers, Startup Weekends, GoGlobal Bootcamps, and Women’s Community Programming joining members of the ecosystem across Canada
- Develop communications campaigns in partnership with the Marketing & Communications Manager
- Develop social media content with the Marketing & Communications Manager to share the stories of community members, partners, and social innovators across Canada
- Develop forms and records to document program activities and any required processes to maintain and update them
- In consultation with the Managing Director, recruit well-qualified ecosystem partners and ambassadors across Canada
- Ensure that personnel files for the program are properly maintained and kept confidential, and establish and implement performance management processes for all volunteers in the program
- Ensure that all program volunteers and stakeholders receive an appropriate orientation to the organization and the programs
- Build ongoing relationships and provide direction, input and feedback to stakeholders and volunteers
- Communicate with clients and other stakeholders to gain community support for the program and to solicit input to improve the program
- Liaise with other Managers to ensure effective and efficient program delivery
- Coordinate the delivery of every service among different program activities to increase effectiveness and efficiency
- Write reports on the program for management and funders
- Communicate with funders as outlined in funding agreements
- Ensure that the program operates within the approved budget
- Monitor the program activities on a regular basis and conduct a monthly evaluation according to the program evaluation framework
Knowledge and Assets
- Strong written, spoken and interpersonal communications skills;
- 1-2 years of experience in a similar role or with a small organization;
- Experience working in social innovation, and/or investment readiness programs
- A degree or diploma;
- A self-starter with strong leadership attributes and the ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic team;
- Knowledge of social media, communications, entrepreneurship and small business, marketing, data measurement, analytics;
- Leadership, communication, and human relations skills in order to develop and maintain contacts and deal diplomatically and harmoniously with all levels of staff and the general public; to manage, develop, motivate, and support staff in achieving objectives; and, to participate as an effective team member;
- Experience building communities (in person and/or digitally);
- Knowledge of IRP/Social Innovation
- Knowledge around Sustainable Development Goals
- Strong English communication skills and the ability to write and speak French is an asset;
- Video editing and graphic design skills are an asset
Why work at Startup Canada?
- Working closely with a dynamic and fun team of professionals in the nation’s capital.
- Employee benefits and wellbeing perks.
- Great location that’s close to the LRT, 90 series bus routes, Rib Fest, Poutine Fest, Parliament Hill, and the Rideau Centre.
- Opportunity to travel to communities.
- Working directly with Canada’s vibrant entrepreneurship community and leading entrepreneurs.
- Working directly with top-level industry partners and government leaders.
- Opportunities for professional development.