Join Our Team – We’re Hiring a General Manager!
About Startup Canada
Startup Canada empowers everyone to maximize their contributions to society, the economy and humanity through entrepreneurship.
Through flagship events, digital programs, and policy and advocacy efforts, Startup Canada:
- Is the voice of entrepreneurs in Canada;
- Creates, connects and supports vibrant startup communities;
- Connects entrepreneurs to each other and to support to advance their ventures;
- Fuels a culture of entrepreneurship; and,
- Positions Canada as beacon of entrepreneurship globally.
For more information, please visit Startup Canada’s website at www.startupcan.ca.
Startup Canada is in need of a General Manager who has expertise with the entrepreneurship and small-business community in Canada and possesses experience running a small to medium sized organization or team.
Based in our Ottawa headquarters and reporting to the CEO, the General Manager will be responsible for managing the finances, operations and program delivery of Startup Canada from end-to-end with the assistance of a small team and/or contractors. The General Manager will also be responsible for input into and advice on strategic direction and issues for Startup Canada.
The General Manager’s day to day responsibilities will include:
Leadership and Execution
- Manage a small team of full-time staff and/or contractors including hiring, managing performance and ensuring staff are empowered to do their work
- Develop an operating plan and execute on the Startup Canada strategy, pivoting when necessary to ensure strong results are achieved
- Ensure that the various parts of the organization are working in a unified way towards a common goal
- Ensure that deliverables are met and provided on time for stakeholders, sponsors and clients by implementing and executing project plans
- Co-lead and input into the strategic planning process
- Ensuring the human resources are aligned with future strategic objectives and continually growing to meet the organizationès needs
- Support fundraising efforts by ensuring that existing sponsors are well served and understand the value they are receiving
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with government stakeholders
- Continually look for opportunities to build on existing sponsorships and client relationships
- Hire and supervise administrative and program delivery staff and ensure that the right staff are in place to meet short, medium and long-term priorities
- Establish, improve and maintain cost-effective operations in compliance with federal, provincial and local laws and organizational bylaws
- Ensure new or existing processes are adhered to in order to ensure smooth execution in a fast-moving environment
- Ensure prudent financial stewardship and control is taking place
- Ensure HR policies and practices are being adhered to
- Ensure timely reporting to the Board of Directors and board committees as required
Ensure the successful execution and delivery of Startup Canada’s flagship programs. The programs that Startup Canada is delivering are:
Startup Canada Day on the Hill – An annual event that brings the entrepreneurship community from across Canada to Ottawa for productive and transformative discussions with the Government to improve policy and conditions for entrepreneurs in Canada.
Startup Canada Awards – An annual series of events that takes place across Canada to recognize those driving impact and demonstrating excellence in Canada’s entrepreneurship and innovation community.
Digital Programming and Events – Throughout the year, working with sponsors, Startup Canada puts on digital programming that ranges from twice-weekly Twitter #StartupChats to podcasts to local grassroots thematic events such a finance bootcamps.
Startup Canada Communities – A national program that empowers and equips entrepreneurs and those driving local entrepreneurial and economic development activities with the framework, tools, resources, promotional support and network to build and accelerate the growth of entrepreneurship in their communities.
The General Manager will be required to work from our headquarters located at 56 Sparks St., Suite 300, Ottawa. Occasional travel may be required.
The successful candidate will have:
- A demonstrated passion for entrepreneurship and small business in Canada with expertise on how the entrepreneurship ecosystem works and knowledge of the major stakeholders and players across Canada
- A Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university in a related field
- 5+ years of demonstrated experience leading a small or medium-sized organization or a small-medium sized team within a larger organization
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain productive working relationships with board members, sponsors, clients and staff
- Excellent verbal, written, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Experience managing resources (both financial and human)
- Experience managing program delivery and business operations
- Experience managing projects and/or large events
- Experience as an entrepreneur or working in a small, entrepreneurial organization is a plus
- Master’s degree or other recognized business credential (i.e. PMP, LLB, CPA) is a plus
Expressions of interest should be sent to Kevin.Shao@startupcan.ca along with cover letter and CV by March 15.