Grow with us! We’re hiring a Program Officer
At Startup Canada, we are on a mission to promote, inspire, educate, connect and give a voice to Canada’s entrepreneurs. Our employees are smart, professional, energetic, and driven by a passion to create the best programs and resources for entrepreneurs. Our culture of diversity, excellence and autonomy empowers our team to achieve goals they did not think possible. For those on board, it is going to be a challenging and rewarding journey!
About the Role
The Program Officer provides leadership and strategic oversight for the programs within their assigned portfolio. With a passion for supporting entrepreneurs, this person is an organization expert who skillfully juggles the responsibilities of program execution, and program communications while keeping stakeholders up to date and included in the process. This role is hands-on and involves working as part of a Team, and working independently with a high level of autonomy and accountability. The Program Officer has the opportunity to help shape programming and impact entrepreneurs in doing so.
This position is based out of our office in Ottawa, ON and is temporarily remote during COVID-19 restrictions. When the office re-opens the incumbent will continue to be based in the Ottawa office, but will also be able to take advantage of our flexible, remote work culture.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- On-time and on-budget delivery of Startup Canada Programming, including — Startup Women, Startup Global (Canadian Export Challenge), Startup Gov (Startup Canada Day on the Hill) and other programs as required.
- Develop and revise programs to meet the needs of entrepreneurs on an annual basis. Works with the CEO to develop new initiatives.
- Provide strategic oversight and direct all aspects of assigned programs.
- Develop communications and marketing elements of the programs including copywriting. Partner with communications and design personnel as needed.
- Work with the Program & Events Coordinator to ensure that all program details are executed in alignment with the program’s vision and quality standards.
- Key point of contact for all program sponsors; responding to sponsor questions and providing updates on event details and process.
- Provide support for program content creation including website content and social media copy.
- Partner with Programs & Event Coordinator and other internal team members to review program applications and recommend finalists.
- Recruit, and engage entrepreneurs nationally to participate in Startup Canada’s programs.
- Recruit, and engage speakers, and established entrepreneurs to participate, train, and educate entrepreneurs in Startup Canada’s programs.
- Ensure excitement, satisfaction, and an excellent overall Startup Canada experience by everyone involved in the program.
- Design master event and program plans and partner with the Program & Events Coordinator and production team to ensure the coordination of all logistics for program events (both for online and in-person events).
- Oversee the progression of the completion of logistical details in accordance with the master event plan.
- Oversee all moving parts of a program (both online and in-person) and troubleshoot problems that arise.
- Develop and oversee the Communications Strategy for each program with the Communications and Marketing Manager, and support the development of content.
- Monitor live chat and feed moderators’ questions during events.
- Oversee all communications to attendees and provide reminders.
- Confirm, communicate, and arrange logistics with key speakers for program events including technical prep and script writing as required.
- Create briefings for event speakers and sponsors.
- Conduct post-event communications with sponsors, judges and applicants and post event links on social media platforms.
- Deliver program data to sponsors.
- Develop a national narrative positioning Startup Canada as a thought leader in Canada and globally in fostering an entrepreneurial nation and startup communities.
- Ensure the ongoing relevance and impact of programming beyond its immediate duration.
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent organization, multi-tasking and coordination skills to effectively manage many different moving parts of a program.
- Strategic mindset with ability to understand the whole picture of a program along with all the details.
- Strong interpersonal skills and communications skills to maintain relationships with a variety of stakeholders both internally and externally.
- Event coordination and management skills (both for in-person and online events).
- Knowledge of entrepreneurial best practices, small businesses, marketing, data management and strategies to support entrepreneurs.
- High competence level in clear and concise verbal and written communication, including an excellent skillset in writing and editing content.
- Motivated, enthusiastic, and flexible attitude, with ability to work as a team player.
- Willingness to be flexible and versatile in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency.
- The ability to write and speak French is an asset.
- Perform a wide variety of tasks with little supervision or direction.
- Independently manage programs performing varied tasks.
- Decision making and ability to obtain consensus on complex issues.
- Communicate verbally and in written format with diverse groups.
Why Work at Startup Canada?
- Working closely with a dynamic and fun team of professionals in the nation’s capital;
- Employee benefits and wellbeing perks, including Mental Health Days, and monthly Team Wellness Activities;
- Cross-Canada travel opportunities (when we’re back in person!);
- We use Macs!;
- Great location that’s close to the LRT, 90 series bus routes, Rib Fest, Poutine Fest, Parliament Hill, and the Rideau Centre;
- Working directly with Canada’s vibrant entrepreneurship community and leading entrepreneurs;
- Working directly with top-level industry partners and government leaders; and,
- Opportunities for professional development.
How to Apply
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply by submitting their cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in the selection process, if you require a specific accommodation, please let us know.
About the Organization
Startup Canada is the national rallying community and voice for Canada’s 3.5 million entrepreneurs. Since launching in 2012, Startup Canada has grown to represent more than 250,000 entrepreneurs and 50 grassroots communities from coast to coast to coast. Through digital programs and flagship events, Startup Canada is the network promoting, inspiring, educating, connecting and giving a voice to Canada’s entrepreneurs; supporting them to start, operate and scale businesses that build a better Canada for the world today and for future generations.