Grow with us! We’re hiring a Communications & Marketing Manager
At Startup Canada, we are on a mission to promote, inspire, educate, connect and give a voice to Canada’s entrepreneurs. Our employees are smart, professional, energetic, and driven by a passion to create the best programs and resources for entrepreneurs. Our culture of diversity, excellence and autonomy empowers our team to achieve goals they did not think possible. For those on board, it is going to be a challenging and rewarding journey!
About the Role
The Communications & Marketing Manager is a master wordsmith who designs and implements all aspects of Startup Canada’s communication strategies. With a passion for supporting entrepreneurs, the Manager is responsible for working closely with program staff to create written content, and manage the organization’s program content including website content, newsletters, social media, and blog posts.
This position is based out of our office in Ottawa, ON and is temporarily remote during COVID-19 restrictions. When the office re-opens the incumbent will continue to be based in the Ottawa office, but will also be able to take advantage of our flexible, remote work culture.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Create overall communications strategy for Startup Canada.
- Implement content strategy for Startup Canada in collaboration with Content Strategist.
- Create individualized communications strategies for each Startup Canada program and initiative in partnership with the Program Teams.
- Support the development and implementation of public relations strategies to support brand building initiatives and promotions, in partnership with the Digital Production, and Content Coordinator.
- Manage the development, design, content, distribution and evaluation of external communications.
- Write compelling external communications content for the website, newsletter, program marketing and sponsor partnerships.
- Maintain all social media channels and create high impact social copy in accordance with the communications plan of each program for Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Facebook.
- Partner with the Brand Manager to develop graphics that amplify the impact of written content where required.
- Write social media content, and presentation material for Startup Canada CEO.
- Coordinate translation of materials that are required in a second language.
Knowledge and Skills
- Exceptional ability to write content that captures an audience’s attention through creative, articulate, and original writing.
- Strong editing and proofreading skills with proven attention to style, tone and detail.
- Ability to quickly understand and translate a program’s vision, purpose, and operations into written content.
- Strategic mindset with ability to execute multiple communications strategies on deadline with a high degree of autonomy.
- Project management and organizational skills to manage many different moving pieces of a communications strategy.
- Knowledge of entrepreneurial best practices, small businesses, marketing, data management and strategies to support entrepreneurs.
- Strong computer skills and ability to use social media tools, Mailchimp, Google suite, Zoom and Slack. Experience building and using a CRM are a key asset.
- Willingness to be flexible and versatile in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency.
- The ability to write and speak French is an asset.
Why Work at Startup Canada?
- Working closely with a dynamic and fun team of professionals in the nation’s capital;
- Employee benefits and wellbeing perks, including Mental Health Days, and monthly Team Wellness Activities;
- Cross-Canada travel opportunities (when we’re back in person!);
- We use Mac’s!;
- Great location that’s close to the LRT, 90 series bus routes, Rib Fest, Poutine Fest, Parliament Hill, and the Rideau Centre;
- Working directly with Canada’s vibrant entrepreneurship community and leading entrepreneurs;
- Working directly with top-level industry partners and government leaders; and,
- Opportunities for professional development.
How to Apply
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply by submitting their cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in the selection process, if you require a specific accommodation, please let us know.
About the Organization
Startup Canada is the national rallying community and voice for Canada’s 3.5 million entrepreneurs. Since launching in 2012, Startup Canada has grown to represent more than 250,000 entrepreneurs and 50 grassroots communities from coast to coast to coast. Through digital programs and flagship events, Startup Canada is the network promoting, inspiring, educating, connecting and giving a voice to Canada’s entrepreneurs; supporting them to start, operate and scale businesses that build a better Canada for the world today and for future generations.