Grow with us! We’re hiring an Administrative and Business Manager
Position: Administrative and Business Manager
Application Deadline: August 30th, 2019
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com using the subject line “Application: Administrative and Business Manager”. The deadline to submit is August 30th, 2019. Please review the entire summary below before applying. We will only contact you if we are requesting an interview.
About Startup Canada
Startup Canada is Canada’s entrepreneurship organization. Startup Canada promotes and supports the success and growth of Canada’s 3.5 million entrepreneurs, with a mandate to foster economic growth, competitiveness, and prosperity through entrepreneurship. Startup Canada launched in 2012 in response to the Action Canada Task Force on High Growth Entrepreneurship call for an “independent organization to serve as the centrepiece for a national strategy to lay the foundations for entrepreneurial excellence in Canada.”
Since launching, Startup Canada’s programming has directly supported more than 200,000 entrepreneurs and 50 grassroots Startup Community organizations. Working with over 750 ecosystem partners, including accelerators, incubators, research parks, educational institutions, economic development agencies, associations, and government programs, Startup Canada serves entrepreneurs from all backgrounds, industries, and stages of development, with a network reflective of Canada’s diverse population.
About the Role
Startup Canada is looking for a professional administrator and business manager to support its already busy and growing operations. In this role, you will help the programs and executive teams to focus on their core competencies while you support them with the administration.
Projects/work you could be working on:
- Supporting the programs team with any and all administration. You could be making purchases, booking travel, helping to book meetings or connecting with entrepreneurs across Canada to do a survey. Your mission is to take the admin burden off the program and executive team and make it look easy.
- Supporting the Finance Manager with bookkeeping and financial administration. You might send invoices, bank reconciliations, run payroll or do some financial planning. You’ll also help the team make sure they are coming in on budget and support with the annual audit.
- Supporting the Executive Director with HR, calendar management, stakeholder management, contracting and board relations and reporting.
- Supporting the team through day-to-day office management such as ordering supplies, handling mail, health and safety issues and managing employee leave requests.
- Managing the office itself, including ensuring a secure, clean and quiet office environment for the Team and our tenants to thrive.
You’ll be working as part of a small but enthusiastic and dedicated team supporting Canada’s 3.5 million entrepreneurs and innovators. Your days will be packed, demanding, and every day will feel unique but you will grow professionally and this is a perfect role for somebody that wants to expand the role in the future with a growing organization.
We work across Canada so travel may be an option if that is a perk for you.
- You’re great with people and understanding their needs and then move the world to make it happen. You communicate well by email, phone and in person.
- You’re super organized by default with great attention to detail; you don’t let things slip through the cracks.
- You’re comfortable in a tech-centric environment. You are able to work with modern software and Cloud-tools such as Google Docs/Suite, Asana, and social media. You’re not scared to pick up new tools that help you get the job done efficiently and effectively.
- You function well with a lot of autonomy. You take initiative and get things done with little direction.
- You feel comfortable taking over projects that you haven’t had experience with before and you’re willing to learn as you go. You thrive on this.
- You understand and can help build an awesome, respectful, and positive office culture.
Nice to haves:
- 1-3 years of experience in a similar role or with a small organization.
- A degree or diploma in administration, commerce, accounting, or business.
- Experience improving productivity in an office.
- Previous bookkeeping or financial administration experience. Knowing your way around a spreadsheet is an asset.
- Previous experience with human resources-related administrative work.
- Strong English communication skills are a must and the ability to write and speak French is an asset.
Why work at Startup Canada?
- Working closely with a dynamic and fun team of professionals in the nation’s capital.
- Employee benefits and wellbeing perks.
- Great location that’s close to the LRT, 90 series bus routes, Rib Fest, Poutine Fest, Parliament Hill, and the Rideau Centre.
- Opportunity to travel.
- Working directly with Canada’s vibrant entrepreneurship community and leading entrepreneurs.
- Working directly with top level industry partners and government leaders.
- Opportunities for professional development.