We’re hiring a Director of Government and Corporate Development! Apply Now
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Application: Director of Government and Corporate Development”. The deadline to submit is September 15th, 2019. Please review the entire summary below before applying. We will only contact you if we are requesting an interview.
Reporting to: President
Division: Executive Team
Type: Full-Time, Permanent, Office and External
Remuneration: Salary, Benefits and Bonuses
Travel: Required, up to 10 percent of the time (national and global)
About Startup Canada
Startup Canada is Canada’s entrepreneurship organization. Startup Canada promotes and supports the success and growth of Canada’s 3.5 million entrepreneurs, with a mandate to foster economic growth, competitiveness, and prosperity through entrepreneurship. Startup Canada launched in 2012 in response to the Action Canada Task Force on High Growth Entrepreneurship call for an “independent organization to serve as the centrepiece for a national strategy to lay the foundations for entrepreneurial excellence in Canada.”
Since launching, Startup Canada’s programming has directly supported more than 200,000 entrepreneurs and 50 grassroots Startup Community organizations. Working with over 750 ecosystem partners, including accelerators, incubators, research parks, educational institutions, economic development agencies, associations, and government programs, Startup Canada serves entrepreneurs from all backgrounds, industries, and stages of development, with a network reflective of Canada’s diverse population.
Startup Canada is a non-profit organization and also operates a charitable arm called Innovators and Entrepreneurs Foundation. This role serves both organizations.
About the Role
Startup Canada is looking for a Director of Government and Corporate Development to support its already busy and growing operations. In this role, you will lead the organization’s relationship and fundraising activities with private and public sector partners to grow our impact in advancing the environment and culture of entrepreneurship in Canada.
- Development of government relations contacts and opportunities;
- Meet with MPs, Ministers and senior Bureaucrats to advance Startup Canada’s mission and agenda;
- Represent Startup Canada in front of government committees, working groups, and all party groups;
- Attend key events and speaking, speaking engagements and global diplomacy efforts on behalf of Startup Canada from time to time.
- Completion of Government of Canada grants and contributions proposal processes from ISED, CIC, Global Affairs and ESD;
- Participation in the federal budget process, working alongside government departments and regional development agencies to identify, pursue and secure funding;
- Ensuring exceptional stewardship of existing private and public sector partners through regular check-in on the phone and in person, thoughtful gestures and invitations, and participation in their programming and functions;
- Management of the Private Sector Leadership Advisory Council quarterly meetings along with the co-chairs of the Council;
- Leading the business and projects of the Private Sector Leadership Advisory Council with the support of the Startup Canada team;
- Development of corporate relations contacts and opportunities and converting them into contracts.
- Fundraising the annual budget of Startup Canada of $1.5M a year;
- Develop and implement a charitable fundraising plan to secure $0.5M in Y1, $0.75M in Y2 and $1M in Y3 for Innovators and Entrepreneurs Foundation (IEF);
- Pursuing strategic opportunities to scale Startup Canada’s impact through strategic partnerships, M&As, and unique certifications and memberships;
- Securing Institute-status to support Startup Canada’s recognition as an official research institute with SSHRC;
- Advise and work alongside the Programming Team to ensure government and corporate sector stewardship through all Startup Canada and IEF programming;
- The general promotion of Startup Canada and its mission; and,
- Such other tasks and duties as may be reasonably directed and amended by the employer from time to time.
You’ll be working as part of a small but enthusiastic and dedicated team supporting Canada’s 3.5 million entrepreneurs and innovators. Your days will be packed, demanding, and every day will feel unique but you will grow professionally and this is a perfect role for somebody that wants to grow the role in the future with a the organization.
- You’re great with people and understanding their needs and then move the world to make it happen. You communicate well by email, phone and in person.
- You’re super organized by default with great attention to detail; you don’t let things slip through the cracks.
- You’re comfortable in a tech-centric environment. You are able to work with modern software and Cloud-tools such as Google Docs/Suite, Asana, and social media. You’re not scared to pick up new tools that help you get the job done efficiently and effectively.
- You function well with a lot of autonomy. You take initiative and get things done with little direction.
- You feel comfortable taking over projects that you haven’t had experience with before and you’re willing to learn as you go. You thrive on this.
- You understand and can help build an awesome, respectful, and positive office culture.
Nice to have’s:
- 3-5 years of experience in a similar role or with a small organization.
- A degree or diploma in government relations or business.
- Experience improving productivity and contracting.
- Strong English communication skills are a must and the ability to write and speak French is an asset.
Why work at Startup Canada?
- Working closely with a dynamic and fun team of professionals in the nation’s capital.
- Employee benefits and wellbeing perks.
- Great location that’s close to the LRT, 90 series bus routes, Rib Fest, Poutine Fest, Parliament Hill, and the Rideau Centre.
- Opportunity to travel.
- Working directly with Canada’s vibrant entrepreneurship community and leading entrepreneurs.
- Working directly with top-level industry partners and government leaders.
- Opportunities for professional development.