September 21, 2017 | Winnipeg | Startup Canada
Startup Canada, the national rallying community for Canadian entrepreneurs, today named nine outstanding entrepreneurs, businesses and support organizations from all over Canada’s prairie region as winners of the fourth annual Startup Canada Awards. The winners were announced at a ceremony in Winnipeg, MB, attended by leading Canadian investors, innovators and anchor company executives.
The ceremony was hosted by the North Forge Technology Exchange – a state of the art conference, banquet and meeting facility.
“Manitoba has a strong network of entrepreneurs and innovators and we are excited to recognize and celebrate their momentum and success with them,” said Jeff Ryzner, President, North Forge Technology Exchange. “This is the first time the Prairies region awards is being hosted in Winnipeg and we are looking forward to showcasing our city and the energy of our startup community.”
“Congratulations to all of this year’s 2017 regional award winners,” said Victoria Lennox, Founder and CEO of Startup Canada. “Each and every one of these outstanding recipients have an immense impact on the future of Canada and they all represent the greatness and diversity of our nation’s entrepreneurship community.”
The 2017 Prairie Regional Award Winners are:
- Chris Johnson,Co-Founder & CEO, Permission Click | Entrepreneur of the Year, presented by Scotiabank
- Kim Orlesky, Leading Sales Coach, kimorlesky.com | Women Entrepreneur Award , presented by Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC)
- Alex Villeneuve, Director, Ceres Solutions | Young Entrepreneur Award, presented by BDC
- David Martin and Nancy Knowlton, Founders, Nureva Inc. | Senior Entrepreneur Award, presented by BDC
- Carey Houston, Founder, 321 Sales Academy | Entrepreneur Promotion Award , presented by Opportunities New Brunswick
- ATB Financial | Entrepreneur Support Award
- Tevosol, Inc. | Innovation Award, presented by Intuit QuickBooks
- Aimsio | High-Growth Entrepreneurship Award, presented by MNP LLP
- Neechie Gear | Social Enterprise Award, presented by Centre for Social Innovation
- Farmers Edge | Global Entrepreneurship Award, presented by UPS Canada
These winners join an esteemed network of award alumni including the Right Honourable Paul Martin, founder of the Capital for Aboriginal Prosperity and Entrepreneurship (CAPE) Fund, Mike Lazaridis, co-founder of Blackberry, Zita Cobb, founder of Shorefast Foundation, and Dax Dasilva, founder and CEO of Lightspeed, among others.
The regional winners will now be evaluated by the National Adjudication Committee; comprised of some of Canada’s leading entrepreneurship and industry experts. The national winners will be celebrated at the Startup Canada Awards Grand Finale in Ottawa on October 19, 2017 following Startup Canada Day on the Hill. Startup Canada Day on the Hill is Canada’s largest national entrepreneurship event convening leading entrepreneurs, innovators, investors, industry executives, and government representatives annually to raise the bar for Canada as a globally competitive innovation nation.
The Startup Canada Awards are proudly presented by Mastercard Canada and Scotiabank in partnership with Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC), Opportunities NB, UPS Canada, Intuit Quickbooks, MNP LLP, Lockheed Martin, Centre for Social Innovation (CSI), VIA Rail Canada, and Best Western.
For more information and to secure your media pass, please contact:
Marketing, Communications and Digital Production Administrator
About Startup Canada
Startup Canada is the leading national social enterprise supporting and giving a voice to entrepreneurs through online programs, national awards, flagship events, partnerships with private sector and government to foster a community for startup and small business success across the country. Learn more at www.startupcan.ca.