Nominations now open for the 2015 Startup Canada Awards
Celebrating the best in Canadian entrepreneurship
OTTAWA – July 13, 2015 – Startup Canada opened nominations today for the second annual Startup Canada Awards, which recognizes the movers and shakers of Canada’s entrepreneurship movement.
“A culture in Canada that celebrates entrepreneurship, innovation, and offers end-to-end support for entrepreneurs will position Canada as a beacon of entrepreneurship globally,” said Victoria Lennox, CEO of Startup Canada. “The Awards give national recognition to those working to make Canada one of the best countries in the world to pursue and invest in world-leading enterprises.”
Individuals, businesses, and organizations can submit nominations for awards in the following categories until August 22, 2015:
Entrepreneur-Led Businesses Demonstrating Excellence
- Startup Canada Award for Innovation
- Startup Canada Award for International Trade
- Startup Canada Award for Sustainable Development
Entrepreneurs Who Embody the Spirit of Entrepreneurship
- Startup Canada Entrepreneur of the Year Award
- Startup Canada Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award
- Startup Canada Senior Entrepreneur of the Year Award
- Adam Chowaniec Lifetime Achievement Award
Outstanding Achievement in Advancing the Environment and Culture for Entrepreneurship in Canada
- Startup Canada Award for Entrepreneur Promotion
- Startup Canada Award for Entrepreneurship Support
The Startup Canada Awards are adjudicated by some of Canada’s leading entrepreneurship and industry experts including Marissa McTasney, CEO of Moxie Trades, Frank O’Dea, co-founder of Second Cup, Angela Tran Kingyens, investor at Version One Ventures, Sarah Prevette, founder and CEO of Future Design School, and Andy Nulman, President of Just for Laughs.
Full award descriptions and criteria are available at www.startupaward.ca. Regional award winners will be announced at red carpet events across Canada this fall, with the grand finale taking place atop the CN Tower in December.
About the Startup Canada Awards
The Startup Canada Awards are the hallmark event celebrating and distinguishing the Canadian entrepreneurship community. The 2015 Startup Canada Awards are proudly presented in partnership with Intuit Canada and TruShield Insurance, and with the support of major industry partners including TELUS, UPS, Scotiabank and FluidReview. Confirmed award sponsors are as follows:
- The Startup Canada Award for Innovation is presented by Intuit Canada
- The Startup Canada Award for Entrepreneur Promotion is presented by TruShield Insurance
- The Startup Canada Award for International Trade is presented by UPS
- The Startup Canada Award for Sustainable Development is presented by TELUS
- The Startup Canada Senior Entrepreneur of the Year Award is presented by Gerry Pond
At the inaugural awards in 2014, Startup Canada celebrated Gerry Pond for his contributions to education and policy to advance Canadian entrepreneurship, top Canadian angel investor Randy Thompson for helping entrepreneurs find the right capital for their business, Microsoft Canada for its long-standing support of startups in Canada, TEC Edmonton for its world-class incubator program, and fourteen-year-old Linda Manziaris, founder of Body Bijou, among others. Read the press release here.