Location: Windsor, ON
Lead: Yvonne Pilon
Duration: May 2012
The Startup Canada national tour visited Windsor in May and to celebrate, Blab Media, Accent Media and iDream Interactive announced a free citywide scavenger hunt with 100 local businesses and entrepreneurs taking part across Windsor-Essex! The public was invited to sign up and take pictures to complete various challenges while earning points towards some seriously cool prizes.
The hunt took place May 14th-May 20th as a pre-curser to other Startup Canada tour events and was organized by WEtech Alliance and The Downtown Windsor Business Accelerator. The scavenger hunt was organized as a way to get the community involved in the cause.
“The businesses were really excited to be part of this scavenger hunt,” Says Toby Leftly, owner of Accent Media, “It’s three local tech companies coming together and donating their time and their expertise to support the community.”
The digital trio joined forces with the goal of creating the best experience possible for the event. Although the focus is on the businesses involved in the challenges, all three companies wanted to emphasize that they’ve come together to support each other so the community can reap the benefits.
“It was great working alongside Blab Media and Accent Media to create a fun and interactive event like this,” Says Jacob Duhaime, CEO of iDream Interactive, “We were able to play off each others strengths and show other businesses that collaboration can be done and it can be successful.”
There are $1500 worth of prizes to be won for the top three participants with the highest points. All prizes are local or donated by local companies/entrepreneurs. You can register to play at www.startupwindsor.ca and you can also get more information by following @wejointhehunt on Twitter.
Examples of Challenges:
- Biz X Magazine: “Take a photo of yourself reading May’s issue of Biz X Magazine”
- On The Green: “Take a photo of you “putting around”
- Downtown Windsor Business Accelerator: “Photograph a startup’s business card”
- Twisted Apron Restaurant: “Take a photo of you doing the twist while wearing an apron outside”
- Viewpointe Winery: “Snap a photo of a road sign directing you to this winery”
- Unconquered Sun Technologies: “Take a photo while wearing your favourite pair of sunglasses in front of their sign”
- 150 Participants
- Prizes were presented at Startup Canada Windsor Town Hall
- To view the Startup Windsor Scavenger Hunt photo gallery, click here.